Thursday, July 21, 2011

Male Chauvinism revisited

Okay. Those that know me would say I'm generally polite, a bit of a wise-ass and somewhat obnoxious. I resemble all of those remarks. But I am also a male chauvinist. Not a chauvinist in the older, more traditional way where a woman's place was in the home, barefoot and pregnant. No, I recognize the current culture, especially in western culture, where women make up an integral part of the workforce, as well as the political scene, mover and shakers in entertainment, business and the like. But where my chauvinism lies, and very strongly, is in the world of sports. Big surprise, me writing again about sports.

So last week, one of the 'big' stories in the U.S., not just in the sports world, was the U.S. women's soccer team making it into the final of the World Cup. Let me re-phrase that. The chick U.S. soccer team made it into the chick World Cup. Oh what hoopla we endured. They played wonderfully, they were great representatives of not only America, but of the world's most popular game. Give me a break. With chick soccer, it's kick the ball and run to it. There are no end-to-end runs, no booming shots from outside the box, no elbows-flying, knee cracking rough and tough defensive play. There's kick, missed pass, kick, missed pass, long kick, missed pass, missed pass, missed pass...you getting the point? Look, I'm one of the few Americans that really loves watching soccer. I don't get up early on Saturday mornings during the English Premier League (the best league, by the way) to watch those matches for nothing. I freakin' love the game. I watched just about every World Cup - the REAL one - game last year from South Africa that was televised. And the only reason I turned on the chicks was to see if any of them were pretty.

See, that's the thing with chick sports. Yeah, yeah, I know that young girls deserve every chance their male counterparts have to play sports. From early childhood to teenage and college years, they get the chance, and rightly so, to play a wide variety of sports. But come on, that's where it needs to end. Chick golf? I guess they play well, especially the Asian women, but guys play on much longer, and more difficult courses, and make the women seem like children playing an adult's game. Chick tennis? (see, I'm even having trouble picking any world-wide chick sport) Chick tennis is a joke. The contest is who can scream the loudest. Has anyone actually watched a match in the last 10 years? Screaming, boring baseline to baseline hitting, more screaming. Headlines are made by some player wearing an outrageous outfit. That's sports reporting??? No, that's chick sport reporting. The game's not interesting enough, let's report on their freakin' fashion! And the absolute lack of attractive women players has made even the most rabid male sports fan abandon tennis altogether. Have you seen the TV ratings? Lowest in decades. Chick golf tournaments? They've been getting canceled left and right for lack of sponsorships.

So unless some really hot chick athletes start coming through the pipeline, I say let's stop the farce. Women's equality is very important in our culture and I hope it keeps getting stronger. But let's all face reality. Let's just put an end to organized adult women sports. Wouldn't they be happier barefoot and pregnant?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Bob! You went *there.* I know this is how you feel. Heaven knows, I hear it enough. Let's be honest, there are men's sports (or male athletes) that should be pro athletes either. Maybe a rant about the diluted baseball & football player pool. Or how about Nascar? Those men are *not* athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Bob, way to out it out there for all to see! I agree with Cherish. why don't you write about dumb guys that ride in a car all day or how about this is the dumber ones who watch the guys riding around in cars all day? :)

    ReplyDelete